An episode of acute care for an admitted patient is one in which the principal clinical intent is to do one or more of the following:
- manage labour (obstetric),
- cure illness or provide definitive treatment of injury,
- perform surgery,
- relieve symptoms of illness or injury (excluding palliative care),
- reduce severity of illness or injury,
- protect against exacerbation and/or complication of an illness and/or injury which could threaten life or normal functions,
- perform diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.