Queensland Hospital Admitted Patient Data Collection (QHAPDC):
There are rules that allow consistent calculation of length of stay.
1. The sum of patient days, contract leave and leave days must equal the number of days elapsed between admission date and separation date.
2. For any given date, either a patient day or any type of leave day may be counted, but not both.
3. Patient days are not accrued when the patient is out of hospital on leave even though a bed may be "held" for the patient during their absence.
4. For patients admitted and separated on different dates, count one patient day for day of admission; do not count a patient day for day of separation.
5. For patients admitted and separated on the same date, count one patient day; no leave days. The length of stay is one day.
6. A same day patient cannot go on overnight leave.
7. A period of leave cannot exceed seven days.
8. Normally, the day of going on leave is counted as a leave day, and the day of returning from leave is counted as a patient day.
9. When, on the same date, a patient is admitted and goes on leave, count this day as a patient day. When, on the same date, a patient returns from leave and again goes on leave, count this day as a leave day. When, on the same date, a patient returns from leave and is separated, do not count this day as either a patient day or a leave day.
10. For QHAPDC, leave is reported only where the patient is away at midnight. Midnight is recorded as the start of a new day (not the end of the previous one).
11. If an admitted patient goes from one hospital to another to receive treatment (as an admitted patient) and the patient has not been placed on contract leave, they must be separated and re-admitted on return (if applicable).
12. Patients cannot be charged for "leave days" even if they had treatment and accommodation for part of that day.
A patient was admitted on 4 January 2014 and discharged on 11 January 2014. There was one day of leave in that time. The length of stay is (11- 4) -1 = 6 days.
A patient was admitted on 4 January 2014. As of 8 January 2014, with no days of leave the length of stay is 4 days.
Clinical Costing Data Repository (CCDR):
The length of stay of an overnight stay patient is calculated by subtracting the date the patient is admitted from the date of separation and deducting total leave days. Total contracted patient days are included in the length of stay. A same-day patient should be allocated a length of stay of one patient day.
This data is not required for Emergency Department, Outpatient or Community service events.