Queensland Hospital Admitted Patient Data Collection (QHAPDC):
Leave occurs when the patient leaves the hospital between treatments in hospital for a period of not more than seven days, and intends to return for the hospital to continue the current course of treatment. No patient day charges are raised whilst the patient is on leave nor are the days on leave counted as patient days.
If a patient who goes on leave fails to return within the seven-day limit, a separation should be recorded on the relevant admission form, to take effect from the date the patient left the hospital to go on leave.
If the patient subsequently returns to the hospital, a new admission is to be recorded. Any leave details are to be deleted in this instance.
Hospitals may report 'leave' for boarders if administrative practices at the hospital require boarders who are temporarily away from the hospital to be put on leave.
The calculation rules for the leave days in which the patient is out of hospital are as follows.
1. The sum of patient days and leave days must equal the number of days elapsed between admission date and separation date.
2. For any given date, either a patient day or a leave day may be counted, but not both.
3. Patient days are not accrued when the patient is out of hospital on leave, even though a bed may be "held" for the patient during his/her absence.
4. A same day patient cannot go on overnight leave.
5. A period of leave cannot exceed seven days.
6. Renal dialysis and day chemotherapy patients are not on leave between treatments; each dialysis session is a separate admission.
7. Normally, the day of going on leave is counted as a leave day, and the day of returning from leave is counted as a patient day.
8. When, on the same date, a patient is admitted and goes on leave, count this day as a patient day. When, on the same date, a patient returns from leave and again goes on leave, count this day as a leave day. When, on the same date, a patient returns from leave and is separated, do not count this day as either a patient day or a leave day.
9. For QHAPDC, leave is reported only where the patient is away at midnight. If an admitted patient goes from one hospital to another to receive same day treatment (as an admitted patient) and this is not on contract, they must be discharged and re-admitted on return (if applicable).
10. Patients cannot be charged for a "leave day" even if they had treatment and accommodation for part of that day.