A patient is removed from a gastrointestinal endoscopy waiting list when a service request for a gastrointestinal endoscopic procedure has been received and the patient has been wait-listed, and is subsequently removed from the waiting list with or without the procedure being performed. Reasons for removal may include:
- The procedure has been performed.
- The patient requested to be removed from the waiting list.
- The facility removes the patient from the waiting list according to local policy, which may include: where the patient declines an offer of procedure; the patient fails to respond to audit measures despite reasonable efforts to contact the patient; or the patient exceeds a Not Ready For Care time threshold for personal reasons.
- A designated clinician removes the patient from the waiting list for clinical reasons, such as the patient being deemed not fit for the procedure due to co-morbidities requiring management for stabilisation or investigation.
- The patient died.
- The facility ceases the gastrointestinal endoscopy service and transfers the patients on the waiting list to another facility or an alternative care pathway.
The removal date for patients treated, i.e. with a waiting list status of 3 (Treated), is the date the procedure was performed by the service. The removal date should be recorded as the date the procedure was performed, not the date the service request was updated in an information system.
The removal date for patients removed without treatment, i.e. with a waiting list status of 4 (Removed), is the date the patient is removed from the waiting list. The removal date should be recorded as the date the decision was made to remove the patient, not the date the service request was updated in an information system.
When a patient is removed from an gastrointestinal endoscopy waiting list and requires reinstatement, the same service request should be reinstated where possible, in order to continue the patient's waiting time from that previously accrued, with a not ready for care period applied where appropriate.